Monday, January 18, 2010

Achieving My Childhood Dreams

I am sitting in my room getting everything together to head to Livingston for a funeral tomorrow. My best friend's mother died Saturday night. Between that and reading "The Last Lecture" I have been thinking a lot about life lessons and leaving a legacy.

I watched the video of Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture" several months ago and awaited the book in my stocking. (I was with my mother when she bought it.) I have truly been inspired by the book to think about my life and my own dreams - not for what I can do for myself, but what my life will mean for others.

I have achieved many of my dreams already, but I sit here today and wonder if I fully understood what those opportunities meant. Did I fully appreciate the experience of achieving my dreams? I don't know - lots of journal entries logged in the past couple of days.

For my blog readers I will include a list of my childhood dreams (not yet achieved):
  • Graduate with my PhD (or EdD)
  • Become a News Anchor (I could really care less about this dream these days)
  • Visit New York City
  • Publish a book
  • Own a house
  • Be a wife and mother (although not yet achieved I have had the opportunity to love on and care for a number of children)

For the most part my childhood dreams are pretty blah, but I do hope that I will take some time to examine how I go about accomplishing these things in my life. I also hope that I take the time to step back from my dreams and help others achieve their personal dreams.

Take some time to check out the video or read the book - very good! www.thelastlecture.com

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Agreed that the Last Lecture is a very good book. We had to read it for work. The only thing that saddened me was that he had no hope in a life with Jesus Christ, ya know? Thankfully, we have a legacy that extends not only beyond death on earth but in heaven with our Lord and Savior as well. And I think you would still make a good news anchor. :)

I'll be praying for LeeAnn's family!