Monday, October 4, 2010

Relationships

A sneak peak into the personal life of Kristin.....

One thing I have learned in life is that relationships are hard. They take a great deal of time, energy and commitment. Every relationship has its rough edges and delicate spots that have to be filed down and carefully worked on. I believe there is no such thing as a "perfect person", but I do believe in a perfect God who can take the lives of two people and make something beautiful.

Jarrod and I both have things in our past that we have to deal with and work through. These things may make our relationship different from some others or not "ideal" in the eyes of some people, but I know in my heart that it is exactly what we need. I believe that together God can work through us and use us to bring him glory. I belive that our relationship can be used to give people a glimpse of grace and eternal love.

With each new "romantic" relationship a multitude of new sub-relationships form. As we meet each other's "people" we seek to find commonalities to help us build a new connection. I feel like I have levels of "people" and how important the connections must be. For instance - it is most important to me that Jarrod is able to have a good connection and build a strong relationship with my family. (Seeing as how I think Kevo and MB would choose him over me I think he has that one covered.)

In Jarrod's life his sweet daughter, Ana, is the most important person that I build a connection with. I had the opportunity to meet Miss Ana early in July. After spending many hours getting to know each other and having the opporutnity to hang out together we have a mutual respect and love for one another. I love that little girl so much and miss her as much as I miss Jarrod. Together they make my life better - and I look forward to every moment I get to share with them.

Last night I met another very important person for the first time, Ana's mother. I am not going to lie and say that it was rainbows and butterflies - it was definitely a little awkward. I do however know that it will be very important for us to build our relationship. The good news is that we have a special commonality and her name is Ana.

I may not always understand every decision that she makes, but I do know that she is Ana's mother. I know how incredibly important my mother is in my life and I want nothing more than for Ana to have that kind of relationship. Although the situation at hand is not what God wanted for their lives, I know he will still be able to protect Ana's heart and create something wonderful out of our lives together.

Ana will be able to learn many things from her mother. They will have the opportunity to share in great mother-daughter experiences such as buying bras, shaving legs and getting mani/pedis together. With me Ana has the opportunity to see what it is like to have someone love her wonderful father. She can experience what a relationship is like that is built together on the foundation of God. She will see two people who choose God first - and watch him work in our lives.

I know my realtionship with Ana's mother will not always be easy, but I look forward to developing it in time. I pray that God will continue to work in my heart and give me confidence in who I am and the relationship I have with Jarrod and Ana. I also pray that he will guide us all as we seek to navigate these waters and that more than anything Ana feels loved!

No comments: