Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Anxious Anticipation

I'll never forget the summer after my first year in college when I began to ponder what my life would look like. Would I be the next Katie Couric? This had been my dream up to that point and everything in my life centered around making it as the next Today Show host. As the reality of life began to unfold I began to question my dreams and where my life would take me. My roommate, Shawna, had gotten me a part time job working at The Texas A&M Children's Center. Although I loved kids, I did only take the job as a way to pay my bills. During that first summer I finally admitted it outloud - my purpose in life would be working with kids.

Everyone who knows anything about me knows that my world from that point on has been consumed with small children and how I can invest in their lives. I have learned many things over the past 7 years (wow - that made me feel very old) about working with children. The main thing is that I have realized that if my true passion is investing in the lives of children I must be focused on investing in the lives of families. This has/will look different through the years.

For the past three years I have worked as the Director of Preschool Ministries at University Baptist Church in Clear Lake. This has given me the opportunity to work with families as they begin to foster the spiritual journeys in the lives of their preschoolers. I am so thankful for the confidence they had in me to allow me to do this job. It has truly been an honor to serve with these families.

For the past year I have been praying about where my life would take me from here on out. After much prayer and consideration I made the choice to begin searching for a teaching job. The search was long, but I am excited to say that I have accepted a teaching job for the 2009-2010 school year. I will be working as a Resource Inclusion teacher at Bay Elementary in Clear Creek ISD. I am looking forward to the new realtionships I will make as I am able to invest in the lives of families from a different perspective.

Through this process I have learned to be patient and that God really does grant the desires of your heart. I am full of joy as I anxiously anticipate my future endeavour.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Yea is right! I'm so happy for you! Sounds like that will be another perfect avenue for your gifts. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Joe Tanner said...

Congratulations Kristin! I know you are excited about this new venture.
Best of everything to you. Martha Tanner

Robert said...

Kristin, you've been an inspiration to countless young people and their families, as well as to me. I have faith in you and your abilities and know you will be an asset to the staff at Bay Area.