Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Bridewars" (a blog for Jenny)

My parents caved and put a television in my bedroom when I was a smalll child, which started a very bad habit for me. Every night I would go to sleep watching "Nick @ Night". I love shows like "Green Acres", "Dick Van Dyke", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", "The Patty Duke Show", and the others. (The only problem was waking up in the middle of the night to "Drag Net" or "Alfred Hitchcock".) I became accustomed to noise as I fell asleep. With the noise in the background I was able to drown out the conversations I was having in my head.

When we moved to our new house in the 5th grade, my parents made the decision to no longer allow televisions in our bedrooms. Yikes. This caused problems for me, because I couldn't sleep well. I would stay up until all hours of the night worrying about and pondering things in my head. I started going to sleep watching something in the livingroom and then go to bed later in the evening.

In college I earned the privilege of making my own televsion decisions. I chose to have a tv in my room. I got in the habit of putting a movie in and making it my bedtime movie for weeks at a time. This is how I have learned almost every line in "The Wedding Planner". This movie wins the title for longest running air time on my nighttime viewing list after being the top (only) pick for an entire semester.

For about a year and a half I chose to go off television at bedtime. I had complications with televisions, cords, cable, etc. I also started having headaches and the light/noise was making them worse. This was a complete shock to my college roommie, Jenny.

After the short stint of breaking the habit, I have returned to the evil addiction of nighttime noise. Robert graciously (I mean listened to my words when I said "I want that") gave me his old television. He got the cords to connect the television to the dvd/vcr. I don't have cable in my room, so movies it is.

The first night he fixed it I put in "Bridewars", and tonight as I tuck myself in for a good night's sleep I am watching "Bridewars" for night number 24. It is good, but I don't know that I am looking for another "Wedding Planner" incident. Any suggestions for the next selection?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ah yes, old habits never die! :) I am shocked you were able to deal for so long. If I ever came home and didn't see blue television light coming out from under your door, I would've freaked out! I am seeing Julie & Julia in your near future as soon as it comes out on video. Until then, maybe a little "Creme brulee can never be Jello" for old times' sake? :)

Kristin said...

I am going to see Julie & Julia on Saturday - I can't wait. uuummm...the sexy lip scar...might be the winner!