Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Great Plated Lizard - "Dixie"

Picture from Google Images
I refused to spend any extra time with the "Dixie" to take a pic.
Today was the day I was responsible for animal handling with the Great Plated Lizard, "Dixie". I was a little timid, but I decided I would be a big girl about it. My first 2 classes went great, but during the 3rd class she freaked out. After she violently thrashed back and forth, runny poop oozed from her rearend all over the place. My heart was racing and my entire body broke out in a sweat. I just kept thinking to myself "you must hold onto this lizard - there are 20 4-year-olds sitting right in front of you". I was so nervous. Dixie settled down for two more shows and then peed everywhere. It was not a fun morning. Needless to say when I finished my last class at 1:45 I was as happy as a lark to stick "Dixie" on the back of the golf cart and drive her back to her zoo home. Yuck!
I ended the day by informing zoo staff that one of them would HAVE to stay with me on Friday when I have "Luna" the American Gator. Today did not ease my fear about that adventure. :)

No comments: