Monday, September 21, 2009

Same Purpose/Different Role

Two weeks ago was my first week to start the venture for a new church. The first place I visited is having a sermon series on parenting, which made me all tingly inside. One thing I would like to have in a church is a place to serve (preschool ministry). I decided to volunteer this week to experience the preschool ministry at the church. It was a perfect week, since I was babysitting the Wilson children.

My plan would be to serve during the 8:30 service and attend the 10:00 service. (I must say that being home by 11:00 has been wonderful.) I got up early and started getting everything ready. I got all three kids dressed, two loads of laundry done, the dishes in the dishwasher and out the door by 8:10. I got to church and made the rounds dropping everyone off. Rylee was very confused about what church we were going to and why I had a new church, but she finally accepted it and went on her way.

Not being an "official volunteer" I just got a chance to observe the children and volunteers. I went to every classroom from Infants-4's. It was like a game of tug-o-war was playing inside me. I had a hard time taking a step back and accepting my role as a volunteer. My mind was racing with things that bothered me about the program and frantically tried to make a mental picture of the things that I thought were useful and top notch. At one point I had to take a step back and pray that God would allow me to focus on what my purpose was.

My prayer is that as I start this new adventure in life I will be able to embrace the fact that my purpose remains the same even though my role has changed. I am still seeking to minister to families and help them raise their children up in a Godly home. My role is no longer to oversee the ministry, but to take part in a new and exciting way. The ministry opportunities were endless and I was a bit overwhelmed trying to even think of what I would want to do for sure.

This morning at school two kids ran up to me and told me they saw me at church yesterday. They said they waved at me, but I didn't see them. At that moment I felt God working. I know it was his timing for me to move to public school and I can see that it will bring new opportunities to minister to families in ways I can't even imagine.

I ask you to please pray for me as I continue to make a decision about what church I will be attending and adjust to the new opportunities God has given me to serve him.

No comments: