Friday, October 23, 2009

Too Much Acid

The other night I was blessed to enjoy a nice "free" bird bowl from Freebirds. ("Free" after the purchase of 10 overpriced, but especially delicious meals.) I find that at Freebirds the 'burritologists' always have a friendly smile and seem to make friends easily. This particular night I was eating alone (ok - lets be honest - 99.5% of the time I eat alone). As I enjoyed my nachos and read the paper one of the 'burittologists' came over to visit with me. He ended up making him self at home and even took a seat and joined me.

Somehow our discussion turned to jobs/careers. He begin to explain to me the perils of being a hippy. He claims that hippies get discriminated against more than any race or religion. He justified his statement with the story of his, non-hippy, friend that does "too much acid". Because his friend is not a hippy he is able to work as an engineer for a NASA subcontractor. "Even though he does too much acid it was easy for him to get a nice job."

I carefully chose to avoid the education aspect of the engineer vs. the food server and stuck on the "too much acid" comment. It intrigued me. How much is "too much" when it comes to acid. I may have been introduced to wordly things a time or two in my life, but I have never fully learned or understood drug lingo. This was funny, sad and intersting to me all at the same time. He tried his hardest to explain to me how much was "acceptable" and how much was "too much".

Throughout the past week I have thought aboout this comment many times. I don't have a problem with drugs or alcohol. I don't have a problem with theft or murder. I do allow acidic things in my life though. I do allow things to come into my life that may cause harm to myself or my relationships. I do justify things by claiming that I partake in an "acceptable" amount, but so-and-so, man, they do "too much"! It is time to accept that there is no "acceptable" amount of acid in my life.

Let the detoxing begin!

No comments: