Thursday, October 29, 2009

Red Ribbon Week

This week public schools are participating in "Red Ribbon Week". I researched it a little, on wikipedia, and found out that this 'cause' was launched back in 1985. I wonder what it was like back then? Did the children "sock it to drugs" or "stomp out drugs"? These are the silly (but super fun) things we do with our kids these days, but I imagine that in reality its meaning is so different.

Yesterday I was shocked at the conversations I heard about drugs throughout the day. These Elementary kids had an in depth knowledge of drugs and could talk about them sounding more "in the know" than I could (and I watch a lot of CSI's and what not). I'm pretty sure that even in junior high and most of high school all I would be able to tell you is drugs are bad - and we are going on a parade to the courthouse.

It is truly scary what these kids have been exposed to at such a young age. It breaks my heart. The children have tons of stories of parents...siblings...friends and their addictions to drugs. Even down to one kid understanding that drugs are the reason his parents live in prison and he lives with his grandmother.

I feel overwhelmed with the realization that we must be ready to love on and advocate for these kids as they navigate through this world they live in. A world that I have no first-hand knowledge of, but that I can love them through.

I must get ready for "No Playing with Drugs" day - I need to find my jersy!

No comments: