Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hoarders

I by no means live in filth like the families on the television show "Hoarders", but I must admit that I do like to hang on to things that hold sentimental value. I was especially proned to hoarding things in Jr. High and High School. Since I left for college (in 2001), my parents have moved downstairs and use my bathroom/closet and turned my old bedroom into a gym. During the holidays I spent some time cleaning out some of my "stuff" that had been shoved in every nook and cranny. I thought I would share with my blog readers a few of my favorite things that I found during the purge. These things have had a part in shaping me into the person I am today.

  • "Marty (ex-boyfriend) Memories": I got a good laugh finding the Valentine's Day card where he wrote "You are so sweat". That was classic. Now that he is married I hope he has learned how to tell his wife that she is "sweet" and not "sweat". I also enjoyed reading the yearly Thanksgiving Day cards he gave me. This yearly ritual meant so much that I have started giving people Thanksgiving Day cards/presents. The most meaningful things I found were cards given to me by his mother. She died in 2001 and was an amazing woman who I think about often. It was nice to take some time to remember who she was and how she influenced my life.
  • Awards and Recognitions: I found every old report card, TAAS test score, College Acceptance letter and all 500 medals neatly organized and separated by grades/schools. Along with those things I found yearbooks, stacks of school pictures and the 2 "Letter Blankets" I received for Academic Excellence. It was fun to look through these things and think back about how much I have changed through the years. I have great memories from my years in grade school. I kept all of these things - obviously.
  • GT Projects: I found a binder I made the year I worked with the Special Ed department for my independent project. It was fun to look through the book and see how my life was change working with those guys. I laughed out loud when I read at the end of the book "I hope that one day I have the opportunity to work with special needs children as an adult. I learned as much from them as they learned from me." I would say that this year my life has been changed having the opportunity to teach - and I am teaching special ed!
  • Letters/School Pictures: I found stacks and stacks of letters written from friends and passed in the hallways. Lots of BFFs and FFL. I loved looking at the pictures of Lee Ann through the years and all the letters we wrote back and forth. Drama - Drama - Drama - it is a miracle we made it through those years.
  • Get Well Soon stuff: For my blog readers that are unaware - on March 12, 1996 I fell off my horse and had some serious injuries. I was lifeflighted to Herman Hospital. It was a life changing experience for many people involved. People from all over were praying for me and my family. God's power was made evident through the miracles seen during that time. I had a hard time getting rid of things from that part of my life. I had even kept the restraints used on my bed in ICU. I threw most of it away, but I did keep a binder I made of the cards sent to me during my hospitalization and recovery time. I had over 200 cards sent to me and received over 20 stuffed animals (flowers were not allowed while I was in ICU). It is nice to remember how people supported my family during this time, but more importantly a sign of how when people come together in prayer God's power is made known.

I dwindled my keepsakes down considerably, but I will never forget the memories made during my childhood. I look forward to looking back on these days and seeing how the memories I am making today will change the person I become. Stay tuned.

No comments: