Sunday, April 26, 2009

Expectations

We create expectations for other people. Sometimes these expectations are unspoken and sometimes we talk extensively about what we expect to happen or how we expect people to act. I go back and forth with people. Sometimes I believe in the good of people and the value of relationships and other times I become cynical and place little trust in what others will do for me. (I think this is a result of the awkward way I view friendship.)

This past weekend I experienced great disappointment in the let down of expectations I placed on others. With this on top of the current stress I am feeling with finals my bitterness meter was steadily going up today. Is it time to let them go? Is it time to release any need for expectations?

I had some good time in prayer and worship and began to wonder what it must have felt like on the cross. If I get this let down and downhearted about people hurting me over little things in relationships how painful it must have been to experience the ultimate let down from people created by you. How hurt God's heart must be everytime I neglect to uphold what it is expected of me as a child of God?

I must admit - I am still holding on to a glimpse of bitterness, but it made me think. I pray that I will release this bitterness and forgive with a grace that has been shown to me many times over.

No comments: