Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sandwiches

I am by far one of the pickiest eaters in the world. The list of things I will not eat is endless. I do blame my family for this. They always catered to the things I would and would not eat. My grandmother would even buy a specific brand and kind of green beans just for me. She tried once to fool me, but I was quick. I caught her in the act. As I have gotten older I have tried new things and the list has gotten shorter (by new things I mean hamburgers not sushi).

Today at work we ordered food from Jason's Deli, which is common when we have meetings. I love sandwiches, but only from restaurants not from my house. (A little aside - I will only eat lasagne from my house not frozen or from restaurants - I told you I am crazy.) Back to the topic. A typical sandwich for me to order is the Club Sandwich. I love the Club Sandwich. I look forward to its arrival and savor every bite....after I remake the sandwich myself.

When my club sandwich arrives I take it apart. I remove all ham on the sandwich and sometimes even the middle piece of bread. You say "Kristin, that is a turkey sandwich". Yes it is. I eat my turkey sandwiches in the disguise of a club sandwich.

Sometimes I think this is a great analogy of my life. Don't get me wrong - I don't have this crazy alter life, but I don't always feel like people really know who I am. People at work and church know me as Kristin, Director of Preschool Ministries. They know me as the loud, outgoing girl who loves kids. They think this is me. In a way that is me - just like in a way the sandwich is still a club sandwich - but the real me loves to be alone, loves to be in the back and out of the center of anyone's attention. I don't like to be in charge of anything and frankly sometimes I just don't want to talk to people. This is the "turkey part" of the Club sandwich.

We can say my sandwich is like a turkey sandwich, but essentially it remains a Club. That is what people call it. That is what I ordered. That is what I paid for. If someone asks me "What did you have for lunch?" I reply, "A Club sandwhich." The person that loves kids and engages in conversations with mothers and fathers is the Club sandwhich part of my life. The part of me that essentially is "who I am".

Weird - I know.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Kristin, you crack me up! Thanks for sharing! :)