Monday, May 18, 2009

"For Spacious Skies"


I live in Clear Lake - the home of NASA. Most of the people I know have at least some connection to NASA or a NASA contractor. This year the United States celebrates the 50th year of NASA and space exploration.

Last night our church hosted a celebration honoring the people who work at NASA, "For Spacious Skies". I'll just be honest - I did expect it to be a well done program, but basically just went because it was expected of me. The night became much more than that.

Many of the astronauts that attend UBC shared experiences they have had in space. The moments when God has spoken to them, taught them, used them in their job. The stories were incredible. God is much bigger than we imagine. His plans for the universe, earth, our lives far outweigh anything we can wrap our own minds around.
During the performance I was surrounded by precious little ones. Little ones who I could love on, hug and hold throughout the performance. The kids sat in awe of the pictures they saw and the videos they watched and without hesitation stated with confidence that it was "God's creation".
The night ended with John singing "East to West", but the most beautiful sound I heard was sweet little Kayla singing every word in my ear. The tears started flowing. I was overwhelmed at how powerful God is - what he has formed in his hands - from the galaxies in the skies to the precious voices of little children.
It was a good night!

No comments: