Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"the hot guy"

disclaimer: because i have heard my boyfriend comment on the attractiveness of other women, i have decided it is ok to write this blog.

Everynight at the gym the 9:00 "hot guy" comes to work out. You know what I mean by 9:00 "hot guy"? I mean the hot people don't all work out at the same time. They stagger throughout the day in order to be the center of attention during their personal workout time. Are you tracking with me or is this just a personal theory?

Anyway - tonight as I drove up to the gym (already 9:15ish) I notice the 9:00 "hot guy" pacing back and forth in the parking lot. He looks concerned. He looks confused. He looks worried. In a brief second I asked myself "should I stop" then quickly remembered that would be completely inappropriate. I go into the gym to workout and assume he has left. Too bad - he and 9:00 "slacker guy" provide me great entertainment during my workout.

The time is close to 9:30 and sure enough in he walks. (I am certain that subconsciously my eyes began to twinkle and I perk up and pick up my step just a little bit.) But wait.....his routine is different....he is not walking to his first spot....what is happening? On the treadmill behind me (I can see in the mirror) is the "pretty girl". She isn't "hot" - just an average "pretty girl". She works at the gym and is working out an unusual time. This is a rare situation. "Hot guy" walks up to her and is he - wait - no - is he? YES - he asks her out - on a date! I am sure my casual glances had turned to an obvious stare at this point.

After awkward banter back and forth the girl actually turns him down. "Pretty girl" turns down "hot guy". It was a strange night at the gym. I must say I could tell his pride was hurt. His usual confident glides across the gym floor were nothing but clumsy steps aimlessly taking him around with no specific direction. My heart actually felt sad for "hot guy".

To top it off at the end of my workout (of course not as long and involved as theirs) I see the most shocking thing of all. "Pretty girl" walks across the gym floor directly in front of the mat he is using, bends down to tie her shoe, and then gets a drink of water. (There was a water fountain way closer to where she started from.) Yes, "Pretty girl" rubbed it in his face.

This has given me great motivation to attend tomorrow night's show. Will "hot guy" regain his confidence and walk with pride again tomorrow? My interest is peaked!!!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I think I need to come work out at your gym. The entertainment might keep me be enough to help me forget that I'm working out. Hilarious, but sad too.